SEO is an acronym for Search Engine Optimization. In other words, it is a fancy term that drives traffic to a website through search engines—like Google. This new and mysterious tool communicates to the most significant website properties, building content, and linking your website to others that consider your brand to be similar. In return, this tactic helps boosts your online presence making it easy for your target market to find you.
There is no direct formula to use when striving for SEO success, but here we have listed the top 10 SEO tips for 2013 (Source: Forbes).
- Content: Make sure what you put on your website is interesting, relevant, and updated regularly
- Showcase Coverage: Include a News or Press Room on your site to provide a source for updated content
- Keywords: Using the right keywords is the number one way to boost SEO. Use tools like Google Analytics to see which keywords result with the highest goal conversions
- Phrases: It is important to stay away from one or two-word key phrases. Instead, select a functioning key phrase with low competition
- Keywords Ratio: Select your keywords carefully. Your keyword density ratio should be about 3%.
- Text Styling: Bold keywords to make them stand out, use bullet points when displaying a list, and italicize words or phrases that you want emphasized.
- Images: You can also optimize images. Use keywords in the title and the alt tag of the images you choose to include.
- Video Tags: Tag videos with the correct keywords to rank higher on search engines
- Hyperlinks: Hyperlink phrases that contain your keywords
- Analytics: Perform a regular analysis via Google Analytics and other search engines
When using SEO, it is crucial to know what the competition is doing. It is also important to be aware of the changing industry; therefore it is essential to make it a priority to stay up-to-date with the current strategies regarding Internet marketing. SEO is a growing tool, and it is important to take advantage of all it has to offer.